No More Tampons
When I was in my teens, I heard about the Mooncup. It replaces tampons – no more tampons in the ocean, no more tampons in landfill, and (perhaps most pleasingly) no more tampons in your body! I used it for several years and then stopped for reasons now forgotten. Now I’m going to go back because it really is better for me and for nature.
Mooncup says they are good for you and the environment because…
- The UK sanitary protection market is worth in excess of £267 million
- Every day, here in the UK, 2.5 million tampons, 1.4 sanitary towels and 700,000 panty-pads and liners are flushed down our toilets
- In Britain, every year, we would need to dig a hole 300 feet wide and 300 feet deep to bury the used sanitary pads and tampons that we women throw away
- One of the main ingredients in tampons is Rayon, it is highly absorbent and usually chlorine-bleached. Since 1918 it has been known that toxins can be absorbed into the body through the vagina
- Tampons absorb 65% of your menstrual fluid and 35% of your body’s natural moisture, this creates imbalances in the moisture and pH levels of your vagina
No More Towels
And if you want an alternative to sanitary towels (frankly, who wouldn’t want an alternative to sanitary towels?), look no further than Dear Kate. These gorgeous pants come in many styles and colours and will save you from leaks without compromising your look. Now available in the UK too via Stress No More.